For the last couple of years, data analytics and artificial intelligence (AI) have received a lot of attention. However, information on artificial intelligence and facts about AI have been a bit misleading on the technology.
I guess this is to be somewhat expected given the rate at which it is developing. I mean machines learning from data completely unsupervised, sounds a bit crazy.
In this article, we will cover incredible and mind-bending artificial intelligence facts and machine learning facts including figures and numbers from reports, surveys, and information on the capability of AI at present and into the future.
Facts about AI: Terms used interchangeably with artificial intelligence
But before we get to the facts, it is important to understand the meaning and differences of the term.
Usually, different terms are used while talking about artificial intelligence. If you are not an expert in the field it can become unclear and complicated. There is a difference between terms like artificial intelligence, machine learning (ML), and deep learning (DL).
[Related Article - AIs, Algorithms & Machine Learning: Which Is for You?
Artificial intelligence is not a system, but it is implemented in the system. Generally speaking it is an umbrella term used for a branch of computer science in data and analytics. It stands for the ability to acquire and apply knowledge, and perform naturally like a human. For example, planning, problem solving and reasoning.
While machine learning is a learning technique where machines can learn from huge data sets. ML is used within AI algorithms. It is simply a time-saving way to achieve AI. Of course, AI can be reached without ML, but it requires a lot of coding for decision trees.
Deep learning is one of many approaches for machine learning research. It works similarly to the human brain - Artificial Neural Networks (ANN’s).
ANN’s are divided into layers, where each layer learns to perform different tasks from sound, images or text. For example, one of the applications of speech embedding is voice bio-metrics. It can be used to capture voice print. Ok, now onto the fun facts about AI. Hopefully you will take some insightful information on artificial intelligence with you.
75 interesting facts about Artificial Intelligence
1. Google CEO Sundar Pichai claimed that artificial intelligence (AI) will be more transformative to humanity than electricity.
2. A McKinsey survey has found that out of 2,395 participants, 1,151 people said that their companies have adopted AI in at least one function within the organization.
3. PWC has reported that by 2030, the global GDP could rise by 14 percent as a result of AI enabled activities. That is equal to $15.7 TRILLION!!
4. According to International Data Corporation (IDC), the spending on AI will reach $12 billion in 2021 across Europe and it estimates a double-digit growth until 2024.
5. Companies, who have implemented AI in at least one function, plan to invest more in AI to respond to the pandemic, which in turn, helps to differentiate themselves from their competitors. - McKinsey
6. In 2020, private AI investment increased by 9.3% from 2019, despite the COVID-19. This is 3.6% higher than the development from 2018 to 2019. - AI Index
7. 84% of enterprises believe investing in AI will lead to greater competitive advantages.
8. Global revenues from AI for enterprise applications is projected to grow from $1.62B in 2018 to $31.2B in 2025.
9. According to the PWC AI’s Predictions 2021, only 28% of executives have considered AI and machine learning as a priority when it comes to information extraction.
10. According to the AI Index, since the year 2000 the annual investment from venture capital firms into US startups utilizing AI systems has increase as much as six times!
11. Between 2010 and the first quarter of 2020, the venture funding in AI hit a mind-blowing $61 billion. The majority of this investment went to companies located in the USA and China.
12. From a research perspective, China became the global frontrunner of AI in 2021 when it came to technological development and market applications.
13. As reported by Gartner, by 2025 more than 75% of venture and seed capital investors will use AI and data analytics to gather information.
14. A supercomputer has identified 77 chemicals that could prevent the coronavirus from spreading, which could help doctors mitigate infection and develop effective treatment plans.
15. Some of the top most innovative AI companies in the world are Alphabet’s Google and Nvidia.
16. Ethics in the world of AI still lacks agreements and benchmarks between active members in the field.
17. The development of machine learning is expected to be more and more automated.
18. The Chinese government uses financial incentives to encourage private companies to work on AI development.
19. Microsoft, along with other collaborators, will host the 3rd online workshop on video analytics and intelligent edges at the beginning of 2022.
20. In 2020, only 9% of firms reporting use AI tools like machine learning and voice recognition.
21. According to a study by Bespoken, Google’s AI far excelled that of Alexa and Siri.
22. In 2020, Elon Musk predicted that AI will overtake humans and grow more intelligent than our species by 2025.
23. AI-enabled voice assistants will not be female by default anymore.
24. Chinese scientists have created AlphaDog - a robot dog that, rather than just serving as a pet, could also help with delivery, bussing in restaurants, and aiding the visually impaired.
25. In 2021, 33% of a total of just over a thousand companies have started to implement limited AI use cases. - PWC
[Related article – The Best AI Startups in Europe]
27. Top scientists and technologists like Stephen Hawking, Bill Gates and Elon Musk believe that AI is a very dangerous threat to humanity.
28. Google has developed AI that can design chips for computers much faster than humans
29. Productivity can be increased by 40% by using artificial intelligence, allowing people to spend their time more effectively.
30. The world’s top universities have increased their AI-related education over the last few years, according to the AI Index.
31. The number of AI startups have increased 14 times since 2000.
32. In Stanford, the number of AI-related courses has jumped from 25 in 2010 to 77 in 2020.
33. None of the top 10 internet companies originated in Europe. The 10 biggest are:
34. China is the largest market for industrial robots since 2013, with 140,492 units installed in 2019.
35. The best five countries for AI jobs are - China, USA, Japan, UK, and India.
36. In 2019 IBM AI machine called Debater lost to a top-ranked human debater, Harish Natarajan.
37. ‘’Cina’s top search engine company Baidu made a smart cat shelter which use AI to verify when a cat is approaching and open its door. The cat shelter is heated and also offers cats food and water.’’ - The Verge
38. Companies like, Microsoft and Google warn that bad AI decisions can harm potential businesses.
39. A lot of sci-fi literature and films have resulted in real tech discoveries - like the AI-infused replicants in Blade Runner, which are based on the androids in Philip K. Dick’s Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
40. By 2025, AI is expected to become a $60 billion dollar industry!
41. To stay competitive in today’s climate, businesses need to also boost their Voice SEO (VSEO).
42. Voice search is going to make SEO more complicated as users will get only one result from one data source.
43. With the usage of AI, customer services are able to map out customer journeys and discover business-related information about the different segments. - Forbes
44. ‘’According to artificial intelligence expert Dr. David Levy, in a few generations, we won't just be having sex with robots, we'll be marrying them. He has predicted that human-robot marriages would be legal by the year 2050.’’ - CBC Radio
45. Soon enough, robots will be able to detect when they’re “in pain” - i.e., damaged - which would make them aware that they’re in need of repair.
46. Because of concerns over data privacy, the EU has created a draft of ethics guidelines for AI. It outlines points like how developers should be sure that their AI will repet fundamental human rights.
47. One of the first AI programs was created in 1965 by Carl Djerassi. It was named DENDRAL and it automatically discovered unknown forms of medications.
48. ‘Facebook’s AI team is hard at work developing AI that can understand the content of videos and put it to use. Though what this means remains somewhat vague, an innocent part of it would be automated video captions, for instance.
49. Banks use AI for revenue generation and risk management.
50. Google has a Quantum AI Lab where, unlike other companies, they actually own a quantum computer.
51. Deep Blue was the first AI robot, made in 1996. It was a chess-playing computer which won its first game against a World Champion on 10 February 1996.
52. Experts believe that AI will take over 16% of current jobs within the next 10 years, but worry not, a new era of job opportunities will arise.
53. A startup called Outrider uses electric AI-based yard trucks to create fully-automated yard operations that are repetitive and even sometimes dangerous for humans.
54. The “Big Tech” companies, namely Amazon, Google, Facebook, Apple, and Microsoft obtained 13 AI startups in 2020.
55. In 1980 John Searle explained the division of ‘’weak’’ and ‘’strong’’ AI. Weak AI focuses on one narrow task, while strong AI is similar to full human intelligence.
56. Researchers at the University of Stanford created a machine learning algorithm that is capable of predicting death with a shocking 90 percent accuracy.
57. In the medical world, the TUG robot can carry nearly 1000 lbs of medication to any location in a hospital. Because of this innovation, doctors are able to spend more time with patients.
[Related article - The Top 35 Upcoming AI Conferences & Events in 2022]
58. To better address various AI problems - including fairness - researchers are suggesting a probabilistic programming language system.
59. AI systems are now capable of composing audio, text, and pictures. This has been applied to significantly improve the detection of individual persons with facial and voice recognition.
60. The FBI uses machine learning to detect potential terrorist activity by tracking mobile messaging apps and social media platforms.
61. In the 1970s the capabilities of AI were limited because of limited computer power, but with the decreasing size of transistors and increase in the computational power of devices, it has become possible to create machine and deep learning algorithms capable of voice recognition, self driving cars, and MUCH more.
62. AI has shown to be better at detecting breast cancer than individual doctors, and just as good as double-reading - a diagnosis brought by two doctors.
63. AI is capable of making diagnoses just as accurately as world-leading experts in the medical field. For example, there is one such AI driven algorithm that can detect metastatic breast cancer with 99 percent accuracy.
64. One of the main - and most crucial - problems of AI is that even its creators can’t understand some of the decisions AI software makes and why.
65. With the aid of AI, Canadian startup BlueDot predicted the coronavirus pandemic before the world knew what was going on - and about to happen.
66. AI is used in surgery not only for diagnosing patients, but also for decision-making and automated (robot-assisted) surgeries.
67. Though there has been research to develop AI that could detect depression from someone’s voice, it’s still not very accurate and has a tendency to misdiagnose ethnicities that weren’t the majority in the group used for the ML development phase.
68. Finland offers AI courses to ensure that the country remains competitive. Their goal is to teach at least one percent of the residents the basics of AI.
69. Some experts believe that as much as 45% of business processes could be automated with the help of AI.
70. The ability to nap in your car while on your commute to work is much closer than you think.
71. Despite the statistics saying that AI will replace more than 80 million jobs, the World Economic Forum projects that more than 97 million new jobs will be created by 2025 due to AI technology. - PWC
72. Reports say that half of Worlds Artificial Intelligence unicorns are in China. The combined valuation is $4.5 billion dollars.
73. By the end of 1993 - a very different time for AI - over 300 companies related to the large umbrella that is AI went bankrupt, shut down, or were acquired, this ending was the first "commercial wave of AI".
74. AI is also the future of dating apps. Researchers believe that it’ll help people find more compatible partners from the convenience of their smartphones.
75. Global spending on AI is predicted to double by 2024, which means it would amount to over $110 billion.
The 75 fact about AI roundup
The concept of AI has been around since the 1940s, even the term ‘’artificial intelligence’’ was coined only in 1956 by John McCarthy. AI didn't begin to take off until 1980s, when expert systems proliferated.
We have reached an astonishing point in human history where information on AI has gained a nearly ubiquitous presence in our day to day lives.
In the space of a few years, we have made leaps and bounds in AI research from algorithm playing computer games to facial recognition and AI-Driven medical diagnosis. And businesses using AI daily, to increase operational functionality.
While we have come a long way, there is still a mountain to surpass in terms of capabilities of AI and ML. Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning are going no where and will continue to grow. The changes will impact and result in many changes in society and businesses.
One of the most interesting facts about artificial intelligence is that by 2045, AI is expected to completely surpass human intelligence. At that time, AI will start to fully automate various industries, for example, telemarketers. However, at the same time, AI will generate around 2 million new job positions.
Experts mention job positions like - AI business development manager, data detective and fitness commitment counselor. For businesses, machine and deep learning will be able to free up more time for more important and meaningful tasks, which are some of the good things about artificial intelligence, rather than the normal doom and gloom outlooks you can find. Correct information on artificial intelligence is also desperately needed, as it is easy to get bombarded with incorrect facts on AI.
For us at Valuer, we're all about artificial intelligence and see it's potential. That's why we have incorporated AI technology into our innovation platform to streamline an innovation process that is, to say the least, cumbersome.
Our platform aims to ease your pain points, so you can focus on your organization's next big opportunity. We give you access to our vast database and let you apply our AI to get you the data-driven insights you need to innovate, adapt, and find new market opportunities.
If that sounds interesting check us out and see where our platform can help your innovation process. Oh yeah, it's also free to try out.