For the last couple of years, artificial intelligence (AI) has received a lot of attention. It is developing at an exponential rate. Now even machines can learn from data completely unsupervised.
In this article, we will cover incredible and mind-bending artificial intelligence facts, including figures and numbers from reports, surveys, and information on the capability of AI at present and in the future.
Terms used interchangeably with AI
But before we get to the facts, it is important to understand the meaning and differences of the term.
Usually, different terms are used while talking about artificial intelligence. If you are not an expert in the field it can become unclear and complicated. There is a difference between terms like artificial intelligence, machine learning (ML), and deep learning (DL).
Artificial intelligence is not a system, but it is implemented in the system. Generally speaking it is an umbrella term used for a branch of computer science. It stands for the ability to acquire and apply knowledge, and perform naturally like a human. For example, planning, problem solving and reasoning.
While machine learning is a learning technique where machines can learn from huge data sets. ML is used within AI algorithms. It is simply a time-saving way to achieve AI. Of course, AI can be reached without ML, but it requires a lot of coding for decision trees.
Deep learning is one of many approaches for machine learning research. It works similarly to the human brain - Artificial Neural Networks (ANN’s).
ANN’s are divided into layers, where each layer learns to perform different tasks from sound, images or text. For example, one of the applications of speech embedding is voice bio-metrics. It can be used to capture voice print.
75 interesting facts about Artificial Intelligence
1. January 2018, Google CEO Sundar Pichai claimed that artificial intelligence (AI) will be more transformative to humanity than electricity.
2. Figures from McKinsey report that global demand for data scientists will exceed supply by over 50% in 2018. - PWC
3. PWC has reported that by 2030, the global GDP could rise by 14 percent as a result of AI enabled activities. That is equal to $15.7 TRILLION!!
4. ‘’IDC estimates that spending on Big Data and Analytics will grow from $130.1 billion in 2016 to more than $203 billion in 2020.’’ - PWC
5. A scary statistic from the AI Index found that men are continuing to dominate the AI applicant pool, as much as 71 percent on average!
6. '’From 2015 to 2018, active AI startups increased 2.1x, while all active startups increased 1.3x. For the most part, growth in all active startups has remained relatively steady, while the number of AI startups has seen exponential growth.’’ - AI Index
7. 84% of enterprises believe investing in AI will lead to greater competitive advantages.
8. Global revenues from AI for enterprise applications is projected to grow from $1.62B in 2018 to $31.2B in 2025.
9. 87% of current AI adopters said they were using or considering using AI for sales forecasting and for improving e-mail marketing.
10. According to the AI Index, since the year 2000 the annual investment from venture capital firms into US startups utilizing AI systems has increase as much as six times!
[Related article - 9 Ways AI Can Help Your Startup]
11. Between 2013 and 2017, venture capital funding towards AI increased 4.5 times, and venture capital in total increased by 2.08 times!
12. Investor's interest has continued to rise in Artificial Intelligence technologies. The Chinese government has identified AI as a strategic area for investment, with a goal to become a global leader in AI by 2020.
13. Gartner forecasts that by 2020, AI will become a top five investment priority for more than 30 percent of CIOs.
14. A self learning super computer named Nautilus can predict the future, and it became famous when it was able to locate Osama Bin Laden.
15. The top 10 most valued companies are evenly split between China and the United States.
- China Construction Bank
- JPMorgan Chase
- Berkshire Hathaway
- Agricultural Bank of China
- Bank of America
- Wells Fargo
- Bank of China
- Ping An Insurance Group
16. In 2017 VC investors funded more than $10.8 billion in startup companies that focus on AI and machine learning.
17. ‘’Chinese tech manufacturer Huawei announced plans to develop its own AI processing chips, reducing the need for the country’s booming AI industry to rely on US manufacturers like Intel and Nvidia.’’ - Forbes
18. China plans to use Artificial Intelligence to gain global economic dominance by 2030.
19. Microsoft is infusing AI into everything they deliver across computing platforms and experiences.
20. According to Salesforce, 51% of small business owners think that AI is important when it comes to investing in new technologies.
21. The Artificial Intelligence of Google is much smarter than Siri’s, according to three Chinese researchers.
Photo from Unsplash22. Humans are smarter than AI - for now. ‘’Around 2025 we’ll finally start to see visible progress toward artificial intelligence. A decade later we’ll be up to about one-tenth the power of a human brain, and a decade after that we’ll have full human-level AI.’’ - Mother Jones
23. When you interact with AI as a default voice it is mostly a female as studies have shown that both women and men prefer the sound of a female voice.
24. Dr. Jean-Loup Rault says that there will be robot pets with whom people could make an emotional connection by 2025.
25. ‘’Microsoft recent 2019 report shows that 74 percent of all respondents expect in the near future AI to help them win and retain more customers with this rising to 100 percent for more advanced and mature companies.’’ - The Irish Times
26. Google launched an AI system, which beat some of the best Atari 2600 game players.
[Related article – The Best AI Startups in Europe]
27. Top scientists and technologists like Stephen Hawking, Bill Gates and Elon Musk believe that AI is a very dangerous threat to humanity.
28. ‘’Google, has announced that it had created a microchip called a Tensor Processing Unit, which it claimed was up to 30 times faster and 80 times more power efficient than an Intel processor for machine learning tasks.’’ - PCWorld
29. 80% of Artificial Intelligence professors are male.
30. In 2018 a machine of Microsoft translation system achieved human-level quality and accuracy when translating news from Chinese to English.
31. ‘’In 2017, Microsoft and IBM both achieved performance within close range of “human-parity” speech recognition in the limited Switchboard domain.’’ - AI Index
32. University course enrollment in AI and ML is increasing all over the world, most notably at Tsinghua in China, whose combined AI and ML 2017 course enrollment was 16x larger than it was in 2010.
33. None of the top 10 internet companies originated in Europe. The 10 biggest are:
- Alphabet Inc.
- Tencent Holdings
34. China has seen a 500% increase in annual robot installations since 2012.
35. The best five countries for an AI job are - China, USA, Japan, UK, and India.
36. In 2019 IBM AI machine called Debater lost to a top-ranked human debater, Harish Natarajan.
37. ‘’Cina’s top search engine company Baidu made a smart cat shelter which use AI to verify when a cat is approaching and open its door. The cat shelter is heated and also offers cats food and water.’’ - The Verge
38. Companies like, Microsoft and Google warn that bad AI decisions can harm potential businesses.
The road to true artificial intelligence is paved with neuromorphic chips, which have the power to make computers more aware of what is going on around them. #ArtificialIntelligence #neuromorphicchip #computing pic.twitter.com/HA2WXRAjzN
— CyberSwarm, Inc. (@CyberSwarmInc) February 8, 2019
40. By 2025, AI is expected to become a $60 billion dollar industry!
41. ‘’AI-enabled tools will generate $2.9 trillion in business value by 2021’’ - Udacity
42. Voice search is going to make SEO more complicated as users will get only one result from one data source.
43. ‘’Experts predict that by 2020, 85% of all customer service interactions will be handled without the need for a human agent.’’ - Forbes
44. ‘’According to artificial intelligence expert Dr. David Levy, in a few generations, we won't just be having sex with robots, we'll be marrying them. He has predicted that human-robot marriages would be legal by the year 2050.’’ - CBC Radio
45. Nowadays, a robot can heal itself. ‘’Once a soft robot is damaged, the material is able to heal after being heated for 40 minutes at 80°C.‘’ - Wired
46. Because of concerns over data privacy, the EU has created a draft of "ethicis guidelines for AI". It outlines points like how developers should be sure that their AI will repet fundamental human rights.
47. One of the first AI programs was created in 1965 by Carl Djerassi. It was named DENDRAL and it automatically discovered unknown forms of medications.
48. ‘’Facebook’s AI team is hard at work developing something called “deep learning,” artificial intelligence that processes data much like a human brain would, using simulations of networks and brain cells.’’ - Giant Freakin Robot
Banks are starting to use AI to recommend products to customers, analyse documents, and make investment decisions. The future of #FinTech will leverage the best of artificial and human intelligence, but how do we get there? #ArtificialIntelligence pic.twitter.com/eP9Pmgp3S7
— MEA FinTech Forum (@MEAfintech) February 11, 2019
50. Google has a Quantum AI Lab where, unlike other companies, they actually own a quantum computer.
51. Deep Blue was the first AI robot, made in 1996. It was a chess-playing computer which won its first game against a World Champion on 10 February 1996.
52. Experts believe that AI will take over 16% of current jobs within the next 10 years, but worry not, a new era of job opportunities will arise.
53. A killer robot has been created and is in use in Israel and South Korea. The robot can decide and kill any target of interest. - NBC News
54. During the quarter of 2017, huge tech companies bought 34 AI startups.
55. In 1980 John Searle explained the division of ‘’weak’’ and ‘’strong’’ AI. Weak AI focuses on one narrow task, while strong AI is similar to full human intelligence.
56. Researchers at the University of Stanford created a machine learning algorithm that is capable of predicting death with a shocking 90 percent accuracy.
57. In the medical world, the TUG robot can carry nearly 1000 lbs of medication to any location in a hospital. Because of this innovation, doctors are able to spend more time with patients.
58. ‘’The largest companies — those with at least 100,000 employees — are the most likely to have an AI strategy, but only half have one.’’ - MIT Sloan Management Review
59. According to Imarticus Learning, 2020 will bring rise to digital assistants that will be capable of detecting individual persons with facial and voice recognition.
60. Trump’s planned AI initiative includes education but lacks key details.
61. In the 1970s the capabilities of AI were limited because of limited computer power, but with the decreasing size of transistors and increase in the computational power of devices, it has become possible to create machine and deep learning algorithms capable of voice recognition, self driving cars, and MUCH more.
62. In one trial, AI caught 95% of dangerous melanomas, but doctors got just 87%.
63. AI is capable of making diagnoses just as accurately as world-leading experts in the medical field. For example, there is one such AI driven algorithm that can detect metastatic breast cancer with 99 percent accuracy.
64. ‘’Big data and machines learning can devise and trial new drugs much faster.’’ - MIT Technology Review
65. An algorithm was able to detect an Ebola outbreak more than a week before it was announced by the World Health Organization.
66. An algorthm dubbed a "robot doctor" was able to outperform 96 percent of those in a Chinese medical exam.
67. A group of researchers at MIT have created an algorithm capable of detecting whether someone is depressed.
68. Finland offers AI courses to ensure that the country remains competitive. Their goal is to teach at least one percent of the residents the basics of AI.
69. ‘’The way we work is changing at an unprecedented rate. Digitalization, artificial intelligence, and machine learning are eliminating many jobs involving low and middle-skill routine tasks through automation. Greater automation will be especially challenging for women.’’ - IMF Blog
70. The ability to nap in your car while on your commute to work is much closer than you think.
71. Gartner claims that AI will not only automate people out of work but will generate around 2.3 million jobs by 2020. It is going to achieve a net gain of 500,000 new jobs.
72. Reports say that half of Worlds Artificial Intelligence unicorns are in China. The combined valuation is $4.5 billion dollars.
73. By the end of 1993 - a very different time for AI - over 300 companies related to the large umbrella that is AI went bankrupt, shut down, or were acquired, this ending was the first "commercial wave of AI".
74.75. By 2025 it is expected that 10 percent of spending within IT will be spent on AI related acitivites. We're one step closer to AI empowered businesses.
Watch the Video
Video made using InVideo
The concept of AI has been around since the 1940s, even the term ‘’artificial intelligence’’ was coined only in 1956 by John McCarthy. AI didn't begin to take off until 1980s, when expert systems proliferated.
We have reached an astonishing point in human history where AI has gained a nearly ubiquitous presence in our day to day lives. And we have only scratched the surface.
In the space of two years, we have made leaps and bounds in AI research from algorithm playing computer games to facial recognition and AI-Driven medical diagnosis. And businesses using AI daily, to increase operational functionality.
While we have come a long way, there is still a mountain to surpass in terms of capabilities of AI and ML. Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning will continue to experience the blooming phase during the next years. The industry growth will start to explode. The changes will impact and result in many changes in society and businesses.
By 2045 it is expected to surpass the human level intelligence at the fullest level. At that time, AI will automate some industries, for example, telemarketers. But as it turns out, at that point, AI will generate around 2 million new job positions.
Experts mention job positions like - AI business development manager, data detective and fitness commitment counselor.
For businesses, machine and deep learning will be able to free up more time for more important and meaningful tasks.
However, at the moment there are still many companies which have not realized the importance of AI. It is going to change in the nearest future because Artificial Intelligence is getting attention more than ever.
If you are working in a startup and wonder how can your company use AI. Read our blog post on 9 ways AI can help to improve your startup.
Otherwise, sit tight and prepare for the ride!